In a series of tweets, I drew attention to a tactical mistake that Biden made in his response to BLM protests, especially over those in Kenosha.
The key points are:
- “Law & Order” is safe Republican/Conservative territory
- Biden is adopting Trump’s framing of a nation at war with itself, which makes an authoritarian & conservative leader like Trump more attractive.
- To persuade swing voters & undecideds to vote for him, Biden should focus on blaming Trump for the violence.
As I pointed out in a tweet, this video makes that “blame Trump” case persuasively.
There are signs that the Biden campaign are better crafting their message. These examples in particular:
- Biden blames Trump for coronavirus-related school closures, calls education gap a ‘national emergency’
- Different voters, one Biden message: It’s Trump’s fault
A “you’re incompetent & not doing your job” message works far better for Biden than getting into a law and order debate with Trump.